Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Patterns

Gabriel has been learning a lot about patterns at school lately. It's fun when he recognizes a pattern in the real-world. :)

Today we stopped by Target after school and got a snack on our way in. We were sitting down eating some popcorn and each had a drink.

Gabriel: Mom, I'm doing a pattern. Watch. Popcorn, drink, popcorn, drink. What's your pattern?
Me: My pattern is popcorn, popcorn, popcorn, popcorn, drink. Popcorn, popcorn, popcorn, popcorn, drink.
G: Your pattern is a silly one.

On our way home, we talked more about patterns.

Me: What if I say meow, quack, meow, quack, meow? What comes next?
G: Quack!
Me: Yep. And what if I do quack, woof, ribbit, quack, woof, ribbit, quack?
G: Woof!
Me: Right!
G: Now I'll do a pattern. What if I say horsey, frog, mooky, coo-coo, la-la?
Me: I don't know those words.
G: Oh, that's just Spanish.

Uh huh.
Then we did one more.

Me: Ok, what if the pattern goes red, red, yellow, red, red, yellow?
G: Red, yellow, red, yellow.
Me: Listen again: red, red, yellow, red, red, yellow.
G: Blue!
Me: Who said blue? I didn't say blue in my pattern.
G: But mom, blue is a color, too.
Me: Yes, blue is a color. You're right.

And our pattern conversation was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment